3 week post op report - Newbie DS'r

BrianChesteen

Glad to be a Loser!
Three weeks post op today. Everything is still going well and thanks to the help and knowledge provided here, I have not managed to mangle or kill myself yet.

Second week back to work. Really better than being stuck in the house. I have made it a couple times over to the airport to play around with my airplane. (No I am not rich, I built my own airplane from a kit, took over 10 years to spread out the cost). That is my hobby and I love to tinker on it. I am not going to fly again till at least 2 months out. I am just a private pilot that fly's for fun.

Here is a pic for reference:

Emden%20%20homecoming%20curt%20055.JPG

2 week post op apt went well last week. In and out with nothing but nod and grin when it came to the supplement advice.

I have lost 40lbs as of my weekly weigh-in yesterday. I know it will start to slow as I add more food options in.

Right now I am still on liquids. The nurse said stay on them till 4 weeks out. I have tasted a few phase II items but have been very limited and careful about that. I get at lest 90g of mostly protein shake protein a day and have no issues getting in my liquid. I just carry a bottle with me everywhere I go and every time I think about it I swish down ~ 4oz. I have been averaging 60g carbs a day. I will work toward 50 when I can get more food choices.

Not sure what the average sleeve size is for the VSG portion of the DS but it looks like my surgeon is one of the ones that leaves you with a bigger sleeve. I think this may explain how his patients that he did this to are able to get stuff in earlier out than others. My op report says that he did a ~50% VSG. At this point and it appears to be stable, I can drink about 8oz liquid in 10 minutes. Thicker liquid and more solid stuff is limited to 4-5oz. On the thin liquids about 4 oz and wait till it moves down before I can take another swish. One swallow too many and I don't get nauseated, I just get that full feeling with a little spasm.

Can't wait till the Lovenox series is over. I am all bruised from the injections.

I have had no issues taking my medicines post op. Most of them are temporary and are to prevent stuff like high uric acid, gallstones etc. Hopefully in a few months, I will be down to just a baby aspirin and the PPI.

I have started working on adding in a modified Vitalady vitamin regimen. I have tweaked it a little to fit me as well as I can at this point without any labs to compare. I have to talk to my heart Dr. on Feb 4th before adding any K vits. I don't do well with Niacin so I do not take the B Complex 55. I do 3 Kirkland multi's a day so hopefully that will take care of the B's along with the other B supplements that are in that regimen.

The only one so far I have struggled with is the Tender Iron. At first I took too many and it ran thru me in a few hours and came out black water. I am now back to 1 a day and will give that some time before increasing. I can tolerate the burp taste and they do not upset my stomach, I just don't know yet on how the lower end is going to tolerate them. I wanted to get on some iron supplement as soon as I can due to the fact that I was a little low on iron pre-op. D was low, K was high, A was high, B12 was 670, B1 was high, all the others were in normal ranges for a normal person.

So ready to move to a full phase II. The advice from the surgeon's office is to stay on phase II for 4 weeks but I know I will be able to tolerate it better since many of the ok options are stuff I like.

That's about it for this week....

Last edited:
You look great Brian. Flying scares the you know what out of me. You'd have to pay me ...allot to get in the tin can! But I think I am going to jump out of a plane with my BFF on her 50th this year and we probably go up in a little prop plane. I think that will be the worst part.

Do what your Dr. recommends in the beginning it will fly by...pun intended!

Best,
Whit

You are doing so fantastic! I forget how close we are. I love, love, love the plane! What an enviable hobby! How did you manage to go back to work so soon? I am tired today.

You are doing so fantastic! I forget how close we are. I love, love, love the plane! What an enviable hobby! How did you manage to go back to work so soon? I am tired today.

I think I just got lucky and apparently my body is recovering well. I have not felt like I have been pushing myself or anything, I just do what I can and so far it has worked out. I am not 100% on the energy scale but I think that is due to the very restricted diet.

Hang in there, you will get your grove back soon!

Cool beans!

Okay, Dr. Boyce & Williams must have changed things since I had mine 3 years ago...my sleeve was only 4 oz and I still have LOTS of tiny tummy days...far more than one would think this far out. But it's balance with a longer common channel.

Cool beans!

Okay, Dr. Boyce & Williams must have changed things since I had mine 3 years ago...my sleeve was only 4 oz and I still have LOTS of tiny tummy days...far more than one would think this far out. But it's balance with a longer common channel.

My CC is 120cm according to the op report. I think they (Dr. B and Dr. W) did start doing bigger sleeves for DS'rs. I noticed Cat mentioned this as well. Dr. Boyce said that men are more successful with the DS because he gives them a bigger sleeve. I have no idea if he is right or wrong but we will see! This was a concern for me pre-op and I sure hope he is right because that was a ton of money to pay him if he is wrong!

Then again he may just be covering up the crappy vitamin regimen he recommends?:ahhhhhhh:

The airplane and flying was one of the things that pushed me to have surgery. First was for my quality of life to improve, second was for my wife and family because they need hubby/dad around for a long time. The FAA is getting more and more strict on the medical requirements to fly and recently announced they were going to start profiling people with high BMI's. The goal is to use this tool to help me get off their radar so to speak!

Hey Brian. So glad you shared and thanx for sharing. I had my DS 6/5/2013 so yes I'm a newbie . Please feel free to ask the forum if you have any concerns. I have lost 136 pounds so far .I'm encourouged there are men like us to have had the DS .Love that home made
plane !!

Thanks Gary, men and the DS are hard to find at least those that will share their experience....

I am impressed with your numbers. Great job! Can you share more of your story as far as what your results were month by month. It is always nice to have something to compare with.

You bet Brian ! I was a walrus in 2013 and todayu I'm the size 40 pants .LOL I'll put some figures together sir And we will share on how to get thru all of this as manly men !!

Latest posts

Back