2 Weeks Postop Update

jjordan8130

Just wanted to share my recovery journey from the last couple weeks. As many of you know I got to go home early and have had a picture perfect recovery (so far). At the end of week 1 I hit a wall. I cried for three days straight wondering what I'd done to myself and truly doubting my choice. I just knew I'd made a mistake.

Today I'd say I made a great decision and I don't regret it for a single second! I've still had days of crying here and there, but I've lost the only coping mechanism I've used since I was in first grade (the year I was considered "fat"). Food as my comfort is all I've ever known. Honestly, that's been the hardest part of my recovery. I also felt hopeless for awhile and wondered if I'd ever feel "normal" again. Basically I was tired of feeling like my insides had been roto-rootered. I had a "friend" who'd had DS tell me I'd never feel normal again and I'd just have to deal with it. THAT WAS A LIE!!!! Tomorrow is 2 weeks and I do feel normal again. The only reminders I have of surgery now are my healing incision sites and the fact that I'm eating very soft food VERY VERY SLOWLY. That's it. RUMOR DISPELLED! It gets better and you will eventually feel normal again one day!

I'm getting my fluids in just fine. I do struggle daily with protein and vits. Protein shakes make me want to throw up, so I've honestly not had any. I'm advancing my diet at my own pace and within acceptable parameters of most surgeons. Today I had tuna for lunch. :) My goal is to work up to getting my protein in through real food and not shakes. (I know this is a personal choice for each of us) Vits are just so so. Some days are better than others. Yesterday I didn't get them all in, but the day before I did. I'm working on my normal routine.

I return to work on Friday and I'm SO ready! So far I've lost 20 pounds although that part isn't super important to me right now. My focus has just been on feeling better again. :)

I'd like to say thank you to @k9ophile for being such an amazing support and dear friend through this process. You've encouraged me when I've been down and been a listening ear through all of my whining. I'm SO thankful to have you in my life!

I am happy to hear you are doing better. I still wonder if I have done the right thing and I am over a year out. It normal and gets so much better with time.
Take good care,
Whit

I'm with Stan...just keep swimming along! Weeks 3-4 were my worst then alluvasudden it got easier. This surgery really forces you to relearn your body and change some bad habits (like for me, only eating one meal a day -- can't do that anymore!) It sounds like you're doing great, I can't believe you feel normal at 2 weeks out, but I'm happy that you are in a happier place today! :)

Oh geeze. Shed that friend, at least for the foreseeable future.
Now, the possibility exists that you will always feel a bit "different" compared to before surgery. But it won't be ANYTHING like what you're surviving now. You're going to be fine.

Thanks you guys! I do feel really well. All I can say is that I'm thankful for it. I truly am.

@Elizabeth N. Trust me...I did. :)

@Taterweight I totally agree! I used to eat once a day too! My husband told me today he thinks my biggest hurdle in the up and coming weeks is remembering and making myself eat. I can't imagine it being that way because I totally salivate over everything right now! But I guess when my food options are limited like they are at the moment that could definitely be an issue. As we speak I'm eating some very milky high protein oatmeal. :) It's delicious. How are you doing so far? You're close to the 8 week mark right? What's your eating like now?? I feel like I obsess over what I can eat next!!! lol

Each day is a new day guys!

@jjordan8130 You never cease to amaze me... From the way you dealt with Houston to your planning on going back to work. If being crippled by excess weight has been the norm for quite a while, you will never feel "normal" again. And thank God for that. I had forgotten how health felt and now I feel like a new person.
:wtg:

@Taterweight I totally agree! I used to eat once a day too! My husband told me today he thinks my biggest hurdle in the up and coming weeks is remembering and making myself eat. I can't imagine it being that way because I totally salivate over everything right now! But I guess when my food options are limited like they are at the moment that could definitely be an issue. As we speak I'm eating some very milky high protein oatmeal. :) It's delicious. How are you doing so far? You're close to the 8 week mark right? What's your eating like now?? I feel like I obsess over what I can eat next!!! lol

Each day is a new day guys!

I was posting every day in Huneypie's accountability thread so new post-ops could have an idea but got busy this past week with work and slacked off. Bad me! Monday last, was my 7wk mark. Here's my today:

B1: 8oz whole milk Lactaid
B2: 6 pieces of bacon
S: Halo tangerine
L: soy flax tortilla chips w/2 Colby jack cheese sticks melted for nachos
S2: chocolate pro-yo yogurt
D: 2oz trader joes tempura shrimp (minus the breading), 3 oz Kirkland steak strips
Will probably have 1/4C of pistachios towards bedtime

THIS week has been my turning point when I finally feel like I have a routine. I can finally shower without feeling like I'm going to faint. I also can make it through the work day without needing a nap. I could barely eat 2 pieces of bacon in 10 minutes last week, now I'm polishing off all 6 in about 15. If I graze all day I have no nausea, so I'm feeling great! :)

You seem to be light years ahead of me! I have very little desire for food, but SO glad I have options and don't need shakes!!

I was posting every day in Huneypie's accountability thread so new post-ops could have an idea but got busy this past week with work and slacked off. Bad me! Monday last, was my 7wk mark. Here's my today:

B1: 8oz whole milk Lactaid
B2: 6 pieces of bacon
S: Halo tangerine
L: soy flax tortilla chips w/2 Colby jack cheese sticks melted for nachos
S2: chocolate pro-yo yogurt
D: 2oz trader joes tempura shrimp (minus the breading), 3 oz Kirkland steak strips
Will probably have 1/4C of pistachios towards bedtime

THIS week has been my turning point when I finally feel like I have a routine. I can finally shower without feeling like I'm going to faint. I also can make it through the work day without needing a nap. I could barely eat 2 pieces of bacon in 10 minutes last week, now I'm polishing off all 6 in about 15. If I graze all day I have no nausea, so I'm feeling great! :)

You seem to be light years ahead of me! I have very little desire for food, but SO glad I have options and don't need shakes!!

That's my goal. I want to get it in without shakes. They make me wanna vomit!!!! ugh! All I think about is food. Everything looks good. I've even chewed bad stuff up and spit it out just to taste it!!! I'm such an addict. You are doing SO well!!!! Listen...I'm still napping once a day. Today I didn't, but I'm studying for an exam. I'm 5 weeks away from graduating with my nursing degree. So yeah...no sleep today. But usually I do. I think it's great you're getting your protein in from other sources. Preop I was like "hell...three shakes a day and then I can eat whatever I want!"....now I'm like "You're so stupid Jessica!!!! lol"

Yeah....I've been talking to myself....who doesn't right?!

So let me ask you about the bacon. I got the whole "can't eat red meat or pork for the first year" from the NUT. Every surgeon is different. Did yours say anything to you about it??? Also...I'm dying for some coffee!!!! The NUT says no. How early can we have coffee?? I don't know if I should give my sleeve a little more time to heal or what?

My first foods were eggs mixed with cheese, greek yogurt, ricotta cheese, and cottage cheese.

I was eating red meat once I got onto solid foods. Steak has always gone down easily for me and ground beef in tacos. Hamburgers are still hard for me- too dense for some reason. I couldn't eat roast at first, but now I can unless I don't cook it long enough.

I can not eat pork chops at all. They make me sick every time. I can eat pork tenderloin and could from fairly early out. Too much bacon still makes me feel ill -- I know; DSer blasphemy, but I can only eat one piece.

I started drinking protein coffee from probably a month out. I wouldn't survive without it. I crave them each morning (and I'm a bear without them!)

Everybody is so different. I see that Resa ate a Halo-- I would be hunched over in pain if I ate any kind of fruit. The natural sugars just kill me. (but I can eat a reeses cup with no problem - go figure!)

@shann I agree. I tried eggs and can't do it. But I can do mashed carrots and potatoes. I tried cottage cheese and it hurts so bad going down. But I'm ok with yogurt and sour cream. I also had tuna today too without any issues. I guess we are all very different. I love bacon. I mean....I LOVE IT!!!!!! I sure hope it sits right with me later bc I think I will die without it. lol

?!

So let me ask you about the bacon. I got the whole "can't eat red meat or pork for the first year" from the NUT. Every surgeon is different. Did yours say anything to you about it??? Also...I'm dying for some coffee!!!! The NUT says no. How early can we have coffee?? I don't know if I should give my sleeve a little more time to heal or what?

She's a NUT. 'Nuff said. HOWEVER, acidic or otherwise possibly painful stuff like coffee should be reintroduced with caution. I'm a tea person, and black tea still killed me at a couple weeks out. Other people report they did fine with coffee while still in the hospital.

As for no red meat or pork....Oh what brainwashed horseshit.

Latest posts

Back