2 weeks out

DBmom23

my life is mostly back to normal-I'm 100% at work and back to walking the dog every morning and taking care of the kids. What is really weird is to not have food front and center for all of this. Strange and welcome adjustment. I ate a whole veggie burger for dinner tonight and it was way too much. This is still hard to comprehend. Overall I feel incredibly positive but still in the " I can't believe I did this" phase.
Advice (common sense): take at least a week off work. I took 4 days and was back POD#6 and it was a mistake. Waiting even just one or two more days would have been better.

my life is mostly back to normal-I'm 100% at work and back to walking the dog every morning and taking care of the kids. What is really weird is to not have food front and center for all of this. Strange and welcome adjustment. I ate a whole veggie burger for dinner tonight and it was way too much. This is still hard to comprehend. Overall I feel incredibly positive but still in the " I can't believe I did this" phase.
Advice (common sense): take at least a week off work. I took 4 days and was back POD#6 and it was a mistake. Waiting even just one or two more days would have been better.
WHY in the HELL are you eating a veggie burger??? That is SO NOT DS friendly???? EAT MEAT, woman!

Now at 2 weeks out, burger may be too much yet. Altho I did eat 2 small bits of one at about the same point with some applesauce for "wet" and did fine. Took me four days to eat an entire 1/4 lb patty.

I wanted to go back to work after 8 days, but my workplace said that I had to be gone for at least two weeks after major abdominal surgery so I worked from home for the second week. I was glad that I had the extra time to lay around and rest.

You're doing great! way ahead of schedule IMHO. but like @southernlady said, what's up with the veggie burger? Eat real meat, lots of protein, which is what you need, and less of who knows what additives. And no carbs in real meat, either. And remember, no need to worry about fat content, because you will absorb so little of it.

Back to work at two werks? Wow no way for me. 5 weeks but I did have a set back at 3 with a stone.... I was going back at the end if week 3, well working from hime

ok, time to let out my little secret. i'm vegetarian!!! so i go with the pure soy protein veggie burgers, not the ones made with rice or grain. It is always a challenge to get protein without meat, but i have a lifetime of experience (been this way for 30 years).
veggie burgers were on the list from my doc to eat at this stage.
I hope this doesn't mean i lost my invite to the next get together/grillathon!

ok, time to let out my little secret. i'm vegetarian!!! so i go with the pure soy protein veggie burgers, not the ones made with rice or grain. It is always a challenge to get protein without meat, but i have a lifetime of experience (been this way for 30 years).
Oh sweetie, you may have experience getting protein without meat, but usually the things that vegetarians rely on are either less protein dense or high in carbs. Or both. I hope you plan on eating lots of cheese and drinking lots of protein shakes.

THATS WHAT WERE HERE FOR!!!!!! At least I hope it is!! We can ALL figure it out together! Thxs for being honest! You can do this and I love your post.

Wowsa! You should have been upfront about that DBMom! Honestly is always the best policy here....if accurate info is whatcha want back! I know you know that...but no more secrets!! Hehe. Now, you do know that because there is ZERO sources for B12 vitamins outside of the animal kingdom, and you likely have severely reduced levels of both stomach acid AND intrinsic factor necessary to break it down from foods OR oral supplements, you WILL need B12 injections monthly. Right? B12 defieciency is no joke and will ultimately result in Lou Gherig's disease neuromuscular symptoms if severe enough. Hope you've planned for this! Almost all vegetarians are B12 deficient to some extent, but those eating eggs, dairy, and fish are much better off. But your malabsorption guarantees you'll need shots. Good news is they are dirt cheap and available by prescription from any pharmacy, including the needles. Good luck to ya DBMom! You are doing great! Keep up with the fluids...you aren't nearly out of the woods yet. You WILL have peaks and valleys for months ahead. Just keep trudging along!
:walk:

Wowsa! You should have been upfront about that DBMom! Honestly is always the best policy here....if accurate info is whatcha want back! I know you know that...but no more secrets!! Hehe. Now, you do know that because there is ZERO sources for B12 vitamins outside of the animal kingdom, and you likely have severely reduced levels of both stomach acid AND intrinsic factor necessary to break it down from foods OR oral supplements, you WILL need B12 injections monthly. Right? B12 defieciency is no joke and will ultimately result in Lou Gherig's disease neuromuscular symptoms if severe enough. Hope you've planned for this! Almost all vegetarians are B12 deficient to some extent, but those eating eggs, dairy, and fish are much better off. But your malabsorption guarantees you'll need shots. Good news is they are dirt cheap and available by prescription from any pharmacy, including the needles. Good luck to ya DBMom! You are doing great! Keep up with the fluids...you aren't nearly out of the woods yet. You WILL have peaks and valleys for months ahead. Just keep trudging along!
:walk:
Will, We supplement because we malabsorb, so it doesn't matter if B12 is in meat or veggies. She will simply have to supplement and if DNMom eats fish she will be okay on protein as well if she watches and works it.

Were you people not prescrbed B12 shots? I was. I have to give them to myself every other week.
Ok - that is a lie. I am big a chicken. I run down to my mother's house and make her give them to me. I can do everything myself except push that plunger. I cringe and tense up and just can't do it.

Were you people not prescrbed B12 shots? I was. I have to give them to myself every other week.
Ok - that is a lie. I am big a chicken. I run down to my mother's house and make her give them to me. I can do everything myself except push that plunger. I cringe and tense up and just can't do it.
NOT everyone needs B12, esp shots. My B12 stays up around 2000...has for over 2 decades.

Latest posts

Back