10 days POST OP...will it get better?!?!

Iheartbacon

So it's been 10 days. YES, I can say day 10 is way better than days 1,2 3, etc! Still have diarrhea...UGH! Hydration is fine and I've been working on the proteins...greek yogurt, just 1 protein drink, chicken, tuna, but my problem is that if feels like it's a chore to eat because I'm not sure if I'm hungry and I can't tell if I'm full and anything I eat, "I feel"! It's uncomfortable. I've even had some come back up. I WANT to burp but most of the time I can't. My insides are constantly girgling, bubbling, etc. not sure if they are hungry or just this is the "norm" from now on?. Will the" feeling everything I eat", go away? Am I just expecting too much too soon?

Perhaps you're eating too much. I was on clear liquids first 10 days and never had diarrhea. I wasn't able to eat dense protein -- chicken, fish until a month out. Experiment to see if the solid protein is too much for you as yet. And yes your insides will sound like a washing machine. That's just the DS. Mine are quieter now for the most part but still have their days of being noisy.

It does get better.

I was on full liquids for a month. My tummy did flip flops when I had non-clear liquids - creamy soups.

It was 30 days before it was really better for me. And six months before i could stomach chicken. You will be fine. Go slow. Your tummy is grumpy with you right now.

Perhaps you're eating too much. I was on clear liquids first 10 days and never had diarrhea. I wasn't able to eat dense protein -- chicken, fish until a month out. Experiment to see if the solid protein is too much for you as yet. And yes your insides will sound like a washing machine. That's just the DS. Mine are quieter now for the most part but still have their days of being noisy.

It does get better.
I don't think I'm eating too much. I'm forcing myself to eat. Right now I can drink 1 protein shake and 1/2-3/4 of a yogurt cup in a day (takes me all day).
I couple SMALL bites of chicken and that is it. The shake goes down fine. The yogurt and chicken are tolerable. If I try anything else (because
Dr. wants 60grams protein a day) than those things it's too painful/uncomfortable.

60 g protein in the first month is ridiculous and unnecessary. Follow the 30:60:90 rule:
  • Aim to be comfortably and reliably eating 30 g protein/day by day 30
  • 60 g/day by 60 days
  • 90 g/day by 90 days
No reason to push those numbers and risk pain, barfing and food aversions for no reason - your stomach is still healing.

I never had any postop restrictions on food at all. I was literally eating steak at 10 days out. Here's what I was doing wrong, I was eating WAY too fast. Someone told me to turn an egg timer every time I took a bite and that worked wonders. It forced me to concentrate on what I was doing! Yes it means your cold food is warm and your hot food is cold but that's what I had to do for a while!

And think about how much you are eating. About a quarter cup was enough in the very beginning.

If you have diarrhea, treat it. Imodium is your friend.

Your stomach is still healing, your whole body is working to send what it can to that area to assist in healing so you're going to be off your game.

I'm curious about how your doctor is moving you through the dietary steps. For me, I'll be doing clear to full liquids by the time I'm discharged from the hospital (hopefully only 3 days). Then I'll be on full liquids for a week. After that I'll do mechanical soft (fork tender) for 2 weeks. After that I'll start introducing more solid foods to my diet.

Someone told me to turn an egg timer every time I took a bite and that worked wonders. It forced me to concentrate on what I was doing! Yes it means your cold food is warm and your hot food is cold but that's what I had to do for a while!

I totally agree. I was eating way too fast (and I'm back in that bad habit, I'll have to get back to slower with my revision next month).

There are apps you can download that can help you eat slower. I used one for a bit. You decide how often you want it to chime (30 seconds, 45, 60, 75, etc) and start it. At the intervals you selected, it'll chime to tell you it's time for another bite. That may help. Just keep in mind that you have to chew a lot, so if you really want it to be 45 seconds between bites swallowed, you might want to make it chime every 60-75 seconds. Experiment with it!

So, I was on liquids for about a month. What I would say to you is if chicken and yogert hurt, then, just do protein shakes, you will heal soon enough. No reason to push it unless your Dr. insists.

I'm 7 months out and just feel like I can eat anything and not feel bad. It took a long time. But, I got there.

I didn't get to 50gr/day until 6 months out. I rarely wanted to eat the first couple of years (at least the first year and a half). I forced myself to do 3 meals a day (even if it was only a tsp. of scrambled eggs) and 1 protein shake a day. I also had things come up. I barfed around 2x/week. You remind me of myself.

I totally agree. I was eating way too fast (and I'm back in that bad habit, I'll have to get back to slower with my revision next month).

There are apps you can download that can help you eat slower. I used one for a bit. You decide how often you want it to chime (30 seconds, 45, 60, 75, etc) and start it. At the intervals you selected, it'll chime to tell you it's time for another bite. That may help. Just keep in mind that you have to chew a lot, so if you really want it to be 45 seconds between bites swallowed, you might want to make it chime every 60-75 seconds. Experiment with it!
That could be the problem (eating too fast) but when you only eat a bite or two how fast can it be?!? LOL How long between swallows should I wait. I am good at chewing chewing chewing, so it'definitely not chunky or anything, but boy..right after I swallow I feel like I swallowed a big rock and it just sits there (or sometimes wants to come back up) I want to burp but I can't. So maybe even smaller bites and longer between. I know I am not overeating..that's for sure!

Latest posts

Back